It is that time of year again — the holidays are quickly approaching! We are eight weeks away from Christmas and only five weeks away from Thanksgiving. So… do you have your Black Friday shopping map ready so that you can grab those door buster deals at 4am?? What about Cyber Monday? Have you already bookmarked all of your favorite stores’ URLs so that you can log on at midnight to get the early bird specials?
We are all so immersed with holiday shopping, granting wish lists, preparing great meals, enjoying family time and sharing lots of laughs and love… but during this time we must not forget to GIVE BACK. Luckily, now there is a day designated just for that called GIVING TUESDAY, which is the first Tuesday following Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This upcoming December 2nd marks the third year of #GivingTuesday and it has become a worldwide movement that celebrates the power of giving and generosity. This day encourages people to bring about real change in their communities and help in a bigger mission to create a better world for all of us.
During its two year life span, Giving Tuesday has been predominantly driven by social media. Here are some of the exciting results from last year’s campaign:
- 1.2 BILLION Media impressions
- 1.2 MILLION Facebook likes
- 40% INCREASE in average gift size year-over-year
- 500,000 Tweets (approx. 700 per minute)
- 90% INCREASE in online giving compared to 2012 which saw a 53% increase
- 10,000+ Partners across all 50 U.S. States + 11 countries
- 3,500 Social Media Ambassadors joined the movement to amplify and spread the word
This year, we are excited to announce that Connect360 Multimedia has joined the movement by partnering with friends at Giving Tuesday! Through this collaborative effort we have put together a pro bono national public service announcements (PSAs) distribution to television and radio stations. We are thrilled to be on board as this is a great opportunity for us to give back to so many well deserving nonprofits (over 10,000).
Here is a look at this year’s TV PSA:
We now invite you to visit our #GivingTuesday page where you will find more information and a direct link to a charity of your choice. Once you choose the charity that you would like to stand behind, you can make a donation or join their volunteering team.
What else can you do to join the Giving Tuesday movement? Here are some more suggestions:
- For an individual or family:
• Help our children and other loved ones understand what “giving” really means during the holiday season
• Have them participate in #GivingTuesday by: walking canned food to a local pantry or a soup kitchen, making a donation to your favorite charity, or signing up to volunteer time to a local nonprofit after school or work
- For Nonprofits:
• Encourage your donors to submit matching gift requests or use social media to launch a new fundraising or awareness campaign. You can do so by using the #GivingTuesday hashtag early and often on Twitter
• Add the #Giving Tuesday logo to your marketing materials
• Sign up on givingtuesday.org to be a part of the movement and have your logo featured on their website
- For Media:
• Donate available air time for public service announcements from now until December 2nd, 2014.
• Spread the word via broadcast news stories (The White House even picked it up).
• View/download the radio and television PSAs at: http://www.c360m.com/PSAConnect/gt/.
- For Businesses:
• Organize an employee volunteer day at a local nonprofit
• Partner with a local organization to give a donation (money, goods or services)
• Host an in-store or in-office #GivingTuesday event to raise support for a charity and to get your customers and employees involved
• Leverage your brand’s following to build awareness for your company’s values and philanthropic activities
Remember: As the PSA says, “It doesn’t matter how much you give or what you give…only that you give. Join in. Be part of the movement.”
For more information, ideas, case studies, tool kits and more, please visit www.givingtuesday.org/tools.
To learn more about Connect360 and our Giving Tuesday PSA campaign, please contact me at 212-624-9199 or at email@example.com.