Every February Connect360 conducts an analysis of Public Service Announcement airings from the previous year to learn how the media uses PSAs and to monitor trends.
We just completed our analysis of 2019 data which included over 2.5 million airings across 175 public service announcements distributed and tracked by Connect360 in 2019. Our analysis resulted in these key highlights:
- 76% of television PSA airings occurred during waking hours – contrary to a popular myth that PSAs only air in the “wee hours” of the morning
- 25% of radio airings occurred during popular morning/evening drive times – the radio equivalent of prime time
- 18% of television airings occurred during key viewing periods of early fringe and prime time
- 7% of television airings occurred on national broadcast or cable networks and 31% on local affiliates in the top 50 markets
- 46%, or almost half, of all radio airings occurred in the top 50 markets, and 71% in the top 100 markets
- :30 PSAs were the most popular length accounting for 47% of all airings on television and 59% on radio
- :60 PSAs pulled strong with 39% of all airings on television and 32% on radio – nonprofits should take full advantage by producing :60 spots and taking the full minute to tell their story
With PSAs airing in good dayparts and strong markets, nonprofits should take advantage of the donated media space to tell their story.
For more details to the analysis, click here: